Friday, January 21, 2011

Photo Challenge Week 1: My Photo of Me



Photographer: Kristine Alberto
Model: Kristine Alberto

To understand this self portrait I must explain how I made the choice to shoot it and what the photo represents.

To do this shoot, my brother and our friend came along with me.  They kindly chose to help me with the shoot.  They kept me company and made me laugh to accomplish my vision of my self portrait.  I chose University of Nevada Las Vegas as the location because of its quiet, secluded, and open setting.  Usually, UNLV is a loud university filled with students walking around from class to class.  However, I shot this early in the morning during the weekend.  At that time of day on a weekend, UNLV is a nice quiet place to sit and reflect.  When I found the perfect location for my self portrait, I set up my tripod and placed it in front of me.  Since it was early in the morning I just used ambient light.  Then I set the camera on timer.  My next step was to sit in front of the camera and just laughed at what the boys had to say.  In the series of photos I took this photo best represented who I am.

This self portrait is about who I am today and who I was in the past. The columns behind me represent the journey I have taken. There has been ups and downs, and being lost and confused. I thought I would never figure out what I wanted for myself. Then finally, a couple years ago I had a breakthrough. My breakthrough was to throw everything aside and do what I want to do. I want to be a photographer. I ignored the ridicule of leaving the business degree and just followed my heart. Since then, I have been happier than I have ever been. I have been enjoying everything I do and having the time of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment