Thursday, March 17, 2011

Photo Challenge Week 9: Food Photography


This week’s photo challenge is food photography. For this challenge I photographed mangos. I decided to keep it simple and I wanted to do two different versions; one photo with the fruit as a whole and the other with it peeled.

I went to the store to find mangoes and I made sure to look for the most vibrant and colorful one. I wanted color because I want my mangos to pop out more since it’s a simple food shot. Once I was in the studio I placed my mangos on a plixie glass table. Then I used a big soft box above my head and angled it towards the top of the mangos. I also had something to the side of the mangos to bounce light back into the mangos.

Once I felt successful with that shot, I went to the next. I wanted to shoot the mangos peeled. I knew once I peeled them open, I would not have much time before the mango “died”. I had to change the lighting a tad pit but basically kept the set up the same. Placing the mangos on the table was a bit difficult. The mangos kept on slipping and the peel was not bending the way I wanted it. After several takes, I finally had the shot.

Food photography is such an intense field. The photographer must adapt to the food’s environment. It is like the food has more control than the photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment